Saturday 20 November 2010

Research for Dynamic Word

I have decided to go with the Bristol Zoo idea and so I am going to research websites aimed at roughly 5 - 8 year olds. This will help me to gain tips and tricks on how to make a website child friendly and interesting for a younger generation.


Nickelodeon Junior

Strong imagery is used as the main tool for navigability. Text is more of an extra or something that appears in a role over. The imagery in this website relies on the user having seen the cartoon/programme to which it relates. I could use imagery in mine but I would have to make sure that it is more commonly recognizable as zoo trips are not repeated often enough to rely on recognition from repetition.  
There is a lot of moving imagery. Also audio cues are also used in the games and more complicated parts of the site. Learning is enforced in every game. Strong praise and visual rewards are used as encouragement. There are different levels of difficulty, this may be a bit hard for me to achieve but I would like to add something that allows parents to interact with their child. So, younger children should receive more help.
Colouring pages and printable accessories are quite big. I think maybe a printable extra to the interactive site would be nice. However, I would like to try and minimize waste caused and try and keep it as a green alternative to loads of printed quizzes.

CBeebies

On the site the first thing that I noticed is there is immediate links under each thing for parents. This produces a statement to parents about the site and how the site is helping your child. This sort of thing could be good to include just to include the parent and make them aware of what the site has to offer.
This site is much the same as Nickelodeons. There are more real people videos for things like story reading but apart from that there isn't much difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment