Saturday 20 November 2010

Research for Dynamic Word


One of my ideas for my non-linear narrative is to use this book. I will go through each thing and then add links to places where you can do them and websites about them, maybe do a map. The main problem I can see with this idea is that it doesn't really give a lot of scope to create a structure for a website. I would be a very simple one click to outcome. I think that maybe the brief is asking for a more thought out and complicated outcome.

Bristol Zoo

Therefore, my second idea is to re-invent the interface of the map for Bristol Zoo. I feel that the although the map is nice to look at clicking on the links doesn't really take you very far. The information once you have reached it is very bland (not very interactive). It also isn't very child friendly. I think this is a big failing for a zoo site as I think it is really something for children more than adults and should be more accessible for them. I also feel that they are missing out on a big chance to pre-educate children about some of the animals and also get them excited about saving that type of animal in the wild. Catching people at an early age is very important and as zoos are the only access we have to that type of animal and information like that in an interactive form I think they should do more to get the point about saving them across.
Another angle I think they may be missing is an interactive tour of the zoo. With smart phones and ipads becoming more popular, I think an online tour with questions and treasure hunts for little ones could really get them more enthusiastic. I think this could be the next stage to the quiz with a free pencil which I believe is the equivalent at the moment.
To get my ideas more refined I am going to visit the zoo and find areas of improvement and also other areas I can adapt to make the zoo experience a more fun, interactive and easy to access place for younger children.

No comments:

Post a Comment